Wedding Countdown Ticker

Friday, March 13, 2009

How healthy is the Wii fit?

I will admit, my goal for 2009 was to get healthy. That meant eating healthy and exercising. So I decided to devote time to working out on the Wii fit, thinking that I would be completely devoted and lose weight and tone my body.

Well the first month was awesome. I was completely dedicated...but then I got busy. In my head too busy to work out.

Some members of my family now have to Wii fit and (like I used to be) are completely committed to working out with the Wii fit. I started thinking, is working out on the Wii fit the same as a real work out at a gym? Here is an article from CNN about the Wii fit:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/05/16/wii.fit/index.html

What are your thoughts about the Wii fit vs. a gym workout? Any suggestions on how to stay motivated?


2 comments:

Susan said...

We don't own Wii Fit, but I've tried on a couple of occassions. I'd have to say it's not "real" exercise. Sure, you're standing and not sitting, but please. I didn't try the yoga, but I'm assuming that's about the same as if you were doing actual yoga, but all those other games--ski jumping, the balance games, even the running in place. You're better off on your treadmill if you really want to burn anything. Just my opinion--take it for what it's worth :) Sign up for Race for the Cure 5K with me--that will get you motivated!!

William A. Powers said...

I believe there is some possibility with the Wii Fit and others like it. In my opinion it does not beat working out or doing those activities in real time, but I can see the benefit nonetheless. Anything to get people active and motivated, i.e. Wii Fit could perhaps be more fun than running laps, or something.
I think it is great!